CNE introduces new food safety procedures after ‘cronut’ burger incident
From CTV News
The Canadian National Exhibition — famous for its selection of grease-laden hybrid foods — will introduce some new food-safety procedures this summer after more than 200 fair-goers reported becoming ill last year after eating the much-hyped “cronut” burger. This year, vendors will be required to provide the CNE a full list of all the foods they will be preparing and selling. Food inspectors will also be paying closer attention to the temperature items are being stored at.
Another measure the CNE will be introducing is off-site inspections for food items that will be served up on the fair grounds.
“If it’s in Toronto, we’ll be inspecting those premises prior to the food being taken to the CNE,” Sylvanus Thompson, a Toronto Public Health spokesperson, told CTV Toronto. “We’ll be looking at all the foods that will be transported to the CNE to ensure there is no … cross-contamination.”
Last year, more than 200 people reported getting sick after eating a “cronut” burger. The burger also led to more than 79 cases of foodborne illness. A Toronto Public Health (TPH) investigation into the incident found that a topping used on the burger was contaminated by Staphylococcus aureus toxin, a recognized cause of food borne illness. The TPH said the cause of the contamination was likely poor refrigeration.
This year, 20 food inspectors were on site at the CNE’s food building on the fair’s opening day to conduct a full inspection. They will return a week later to conduct another full inspection. There will also be small group of food inspectors working at the CNE daily.